As the jewel in the city’s crown, the Tower defines the cityscape of the Baixa do Porto. Designed by Italian architect Nicolau Nasoni, the baroque building, completed in 1763, was once the tallest in Portugal (standing at 76 metres). To reach the top, visitors climb a spiral staircase with 240 steps. The effort is rewarded by views that extend to the river. The monument includes a completely restored church, with beautiful gilded wood, among other relics, and two museums.